This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Clarification on Arabic Character Classification

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Assalaamu Alaikum,

I am new to QuranCode (and Heliwave), but am also intrigued by the granularity of research potential that it offers.

I have spent some time looking at the amazing19.xls on Heliwave.com; I am a little confused on a  couple of points:

1. In the Statistics tab, you have summarized the letter occurance frequency for each Surah;

a. I am able to get the same counts as you for almost all the letters in Surah al Faatiha, but am struggling with the letters Alif. Can you please clarify the significane of AlifKhanjareeya and whether it counts as an Alif

b. With the exception of Surah al Faatiha (and Surah al Tawbah), you seem to be including the Basmallah as part of your statistics - is this intentional?

Jazaakumullahu ahsan al Jazaa in advance

Ma Salaam

Coordinator
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Edited Apr 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Salam brother and thank you for raising such questions.

a) All superscripted letters are for pronunciation only to keep the encrypted book Readable (i.e. Quran).
Not only the Elf but there is also Hamza, Yaa and Noon as seen in:
    superscripted Elf (e.g. Quran 1:2)
    superscripted Hamza (e.g. 104:7)
    superscripted Yaa (e.g. 2:258)
    superscripted Noon (e.g. 21:88)

b) Bism Allah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem is an integral part of surat Al-Fatiha, not part of surat Al-Tawba, and a chapter separator with all other suras but still part of the twin code system (with/without bismAllah) as seen in surat Al-Ikhlaas. Please pay close attention to the two bismAllah of surat Al-Teen (#95) and Al-Qadr (#97) that are different than all other bismAllah for having an extra shadda on their Baa. This is necessary because the chapters precede them end with Baa too. This tells us without a doubt that all bismAllah are part of their respective chapters. Even the name surah comes from "sur" which is a perimeter that fully encloses a secure area and that is one of the functions of Bism Allah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem. Allah knows all.